Mr P's SMART Board

One teacher's record of the implementation of a SMART Board Interactive whiteboard into a primary school classroom. For links see the Simply Science FURL. For science education try Simply Science site. For ICT check out My Other Blog. For one with the lot then go to my Suprglu archive.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What Have I Been Doing?

Because I came across an interesting video today, I checked in here again for the first time in a long time and realised that it has been almost a year since I have posted on the SMART Board blog. Rest assured I have not been lost, lazy or anything in between, it is just that most of my blogging has been done over at My Other Blog which deals with more Web 2.0 based stuff. This has taken up much of my focus alongside of the fact that I have had to move rooms and have not had such regular access to the board as in the past couple of years.

Having said that I have come across a couple of really interesting sites that any IWB user should check out. The first is the SmartBoards Lesson Podcast which is a weekly program that has discussion and guest presenters who describe how they use their SmartBoards as well as links to web based and other resources that might be useful to use with the boards. In the hosts own words,

"The purpose of this site is to accompany a free podcast that focuses on using SMART Boards in the classroom. Each episode will feature a lesson, a podcast, and user comments. The hosts, Joan Badger and Ben Hazzard, have been recognized as Canadian & International Innovative Teachers by Microsoft, SMART Exemplary Educators and Conference Presenters on the use of SMARTBoards in the classroom. Joan teaches Grade 6 and provides professional development for teachers in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Ben has taught from Grades 4 through 7 in Brampton, Ontario, Canada and then Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. The goal of this podcast to share lesson ideas that use technology to engage students in learning with a focus on SMARTBoard Interactive Whiteboards between educators."

Another interesting resource from eSchool News Online is a video excerpt from the recent CoSN annual conference in San Francisco, where a panel of ed-tech experts debated whether interactive whiteboards are worth the investment. An interesting discussion indeed.

For Aussie teachers an important conference to put in the diary is the annual IWBnet conference to be held at Emmanuel College, Birmingham Road, Carrara, Gold Coast Queensland 4211 on Thursday 30, Friday 31 August and Saturday 1 September 2007. The previous 2 year's conferences have been extremely successful and this year's program looks just as jam packed. I will be there....................

9 Comments:

Blogger Graham Wegner said...

John, I've found it hard to maintain my own IWB blog as well. At times, I've thought about merging my best posts from Activboarding back into my main blog and winding it up, especially as I've waxed lyrical on several occasions on TGZ in a category there. There aren't many subscribers and odds are they are subscribed to both - why do you keep a separate blog? I suppose it doesn't hurt to author stuff in various places around the web. It keeps me in touch with the Blogger interface. I've often wondered about the IWB conference - I just wonder about 2/3 days focussed on just one form of technology might be too much - after all, there isn't an iPod conference (or is there?) for educators...

7:48 PM  
Blogger tinkerbellchime said...

Hi. A SmartBoard was placed in my room about a year ago. I enjoy having it and have been making a lot of presentations to go with it, but I haven't been able to create all I need. The potential is there, but with a large class I'm donating time like Mother Teresa. It's a fun creative process, but a real time sinkhole. I teach adult ESL students, and their responses are mixed.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jim Hollis said...

I truly wish you kept up with your Smart Board blog but I enjoy your other blog very much. It's got some great information for teachers like me.

I started my Smart Board blog called Teachers Love SMART Boards to help the teachers I'm working with stay excited about using their new Smartboards.

Thanks for sharing the Smart Board Podcast site. I'll be sure to pass it along in my blog as well as your "My Other Blog."

Cheers!

Jim

9:27 AM  
Blogger ........ said...

Thanks for sharing the podcast site. I have recently developed likings for interactive digital whiteboards, specially when i saw one in my new company. It is a really good tool. Unfortunately i never got the chance to see or use it during my school days.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Recently I started a blog about new technology and technology news, especially as regards the classroom. Do you have any advice for keeping the blog both relevant and interesting?

Also, I really want to do an adjoining podcast or videocast to go along with it. I'm wondering whether it should repeat the same content (but presented in a different format) or not: my concern is that I don't have enough time to make essentially two different logs and productions. Advice there?

I posted an article today on how I've been using my Smart Board lately to enhance content literacy (I teach 6th grade English). Students use it to write and present narratives as a way of anticipating reading a related text. We had major success! If you want to read about it, hop along to: http://glowsandbeeps.blogspot.com/2010/11/smart-board-literacy-get-students-to.html

5:20 AM  
Blogger amberdixie17 said...

Thanks very much, I appreciate you making this article available, the rest of the site is also well done. Have a great day! painting house

9:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You have never posted again for a long time. I guess you're busy with your other blog. I hope you will update this again very soon. More power!

Get your kalamazoo electronic cigarettes now!

4:12 PM  
Blogger amberdixie17 said...

I usually don’t read and post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, great work. Spectacular! Key Charms

5:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello could I quote some of the insight from this entry if I link back to you? sauna hot tub

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home